It’s been raining cats and dogs here in Jakarta – my city taking in the annual new-year-flooding – and people living in flood-prone areas already settle down in emergency shelters. Unfortunately, around the same time came disaster news from my kampong, Manado. Flash floods swept away most of Manado in less than 2 hours, in the middle of the day, and left thousands of people homeless, and some dead. The most tragic event had been the landslide that severed the arterial road of Tomohon-Manado in several locations, causing 5 or so cars traveling along the road under heavy downpours to fall within the cracks.
- Re-elect city officials and call KPK to investigate further on any fund mishandling during their tenure
- Stop going to the malls, start taking care of your family crops (clove, coconuts, cashews, you name it..)
- Encourage your kids to study harder instead of aspiring to be just another TV stars
- Encourage your college-bound kids to leave for better schools outside Manado so they could think like normal people for once..
- Pray that when the flood recedes, people would start acting differently instead of going back to business-as-usual
And those Minahasan living in the US – come back and start rebuilding your motherland! With your US education, you can educate your Minahasan brothers and sisters.